Pages

Thursday, April 4, 2013

D is for death.

Dear people that attend my funeral,
Whenever you go to my loved ones at my funeral I never want you to say "the flowers were lovely."
Listen: I want my funeral to reflect my life, a place that is so confusing and absurd and ridiculous that there is no time for grief. I want the last memory to be had of me to be something that battles the immeasurable loss you'll surely have. So please, at my funeral go nuts. If you think something is hilarious, laugh, laugh your fucking heart out. If you suddenly get the urge to sing a little ditty, make a chain of paper hearts, flip a table, or get knee crawling drunk: do so. Do it with gusto. Make sure that everyone knows you still can feel something else, that you are not bound to your grief, and that quiet sobriety just will not fucking do. This will be the second most important thing to ever happen to my monkey meat, make it fucking count.

Love, Kendra.

3 comments:

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

I think it's important to celebrate a person's life, personality, and accomplishments...rather than wallow in grief. You captured that in your post today! (Visiting from the A-Z Challenge.)

dishitd said...

Amazing letter this is! I have always wondered what would happen in my funeral and you have given me ideas! :)

- Dishit from Only the Crazy Survive!!!

Maïa said...

Dear Kendra,

I love the format you chose for the challenge. I write many letters myself, paper ones which i leave around for random strangers to find. They're more letters of general encouragement to be awesome and to keep doing one's best than specific things, though... ;-)

Love,
Maïa